[gopher] Motsognir v1.0 - rewritten, totally standalone, and with PHP support

Mateusz Viste mateusz at viste-family.net
Mon Sep 23 22:00:07 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I am happy to hereby announce the release of the latest version of my
gopher server - Motsognir v1.0.

This version brings a tremendous amount of architecture changes, due to
the fact that I rewrote it completely in ANSI C. I did this because I
wanted to make it extremely portable, to be able to run it on some
ultra-lightweight ARM server. It doesn't require an inetd-like
superserver anymore, which makes it much more 'plug & play'.

I also removed some features that weren't used by anybody (that I know
about), and replaced them with more practical ones.

Here is a short changelog:

v1.0 [24 Sep 2013]
  - The whole code base has been rewritten from FreeBASIC to ANSI C,
  - Moved to a standalone server architecture with its own listening
service (instead of relying on an inetd-like superserver),
  - Moved default configuration from /etc/motsognir.cfg to
/etc/motsognir.conf,
  - Added command line parameter --config to specify a configuration in
a custom location,
  - Added a file listing directive to gophermaps, allowing to show a
dynamic list of files from within a gophermap,
  - Added PHP support,
  - Add a 'default gophermap' feature allowing to customize the look of
an entire server with a global gophermap.
  - Dropped Windows support,
  - Removed the authentication feature,
  - Removed the 'gopherlinks files' feature,
  - Removed the 'descript.ion metadata' feature.

The project is hosted on sourceforge:
  http://sourceforge.net/projects/motsognir

But it also has a gopher hole (hosted by itself, obviously!)
  gopher://gopher.viste-family.net/1/projects/motsognir/

And for those of you who are running Linux and like to get 'ready to
use' packages, I prepared packages for a few Linux distros here:
  http://software.opensuse.org/package/motsognir

cheers,
Mateusz