[gopher] Hello Gopher Project

James Mills prologic at shortcircuit.net.au
Mon Dec 15 09:17:36 UTC 2014

On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 7:01 PM, Mateusz Viste <mateusz at viste.fr> wrote:

> About markdown: I am not sure that multiplication of gopher types is a
> good thing, as it's already somewhat a mess right now. The main question
> would be probably to know what are the benefits of markdown? If I
> understood correctly, it's a text format that brings simplistic 'rich'
> content with a set of font styles. As you noted, some people (me included)
> are using html on gopher, which already provides such capabilities. It also
> allows to use links, and embed images (does markdown allow this?). html is
> supported by virtually anything nowadays, that provides some graphical
> rendering... So I am not convinced markdown support would bring any
> significant improvements to gopher. Nonetheless, I'll listen to other's
> arguments with much interest.

How do you do this specifically?

The only viable Browser client I know of is Firefox with Overbite.

It's the the sheer lack of "Browser" support for Gopher that
I would say Markdown rendering has a place in the context
of new/improved clients (e.g: The update Kevin made for
Overbite for Android).

cheers
James

James Mills / prologic