[gopher] Hello Gopher Project

Nuno Silva nunojsilva at ist.utl.pt
Mon Dec 15 14:32:13 UTC 2014

On 2014-12-15 10:40, Kim Holviala wrote:

> > On 12 Dec 2014, at 8:52, Kevin Veroneau <kevin at veroneau.net> wrote:
> >
> >  Have you ever heard of this little markup
> > language called "Markdown"?  It's a very simple, but powerful markup,
> > and it's used on lots of programming and documentation websites.  If
> > you use GIT, then you most likely store your README file in Markdown
> > format.
>
> Uh… Just a little complaint; git and markdown have absolutely nothing
> to do with each other. I use git all the time but I have never used
> markdown. Git != Github.

And github does not enforce markdown, it just has support for it in the
web interface. Which actually requires you to name your markdown files
*.md. People using github for their git needs may still be using
plain-text READMEs instead of README.md files.

A gopher client running in a computer with sufficient processing power
could offer the possibility to interpret some of the more common
plain-text notations (including markdown), but IMHO the documents should
still be served as type 0 (as they *are*, indeed, plain text).

--
Nuno Silva
Helsinki, Finland