[gopher] Hello Gopher Project

James Mills prologic at shortcircuit.net.au
Mon Dec 15 22:44:26 UTC 2014

On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 8:29 AM, Kevin Veroneau <kevin at veroneau.net> wrote:

> Thank for everyone for voicing your feedback on Markdown.  The only
> reason I thought of using a new item type was that detecting if a
> plain-text file is Markdown or not isn't easy...  In fact, the only
> sure fire way to detect it is either by extension or mime-type.  I was
> going by the latter using a new Gopher type, although many of you have
> voiced against this idea.  So, the natural way to do this, would be to
> use item type "0", and force a file extension on any documents are that
> Markdown-compatible.

I'm not against it per-say, but I agree with some of the comments said so
far.
Backwards compatibility et all and the types we have are a bit of a mess,
etc :)

> As for "flavors", I am personally only aware of one, the flavor of the
> "author of Markdown", and I always reference it's website's documentation
> located here:
> http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/syntax
>
> This would be the exact syntax any parser I'd support would strictly
> follow, none of those other flavors, I never heard of.  From my
> experience with Markdown, this syntax works on every single parser I
> have used.  I'd personally prefer it if the author say had an example
> Markdown document that can be used to easily compare parsers against
> this exact syntax.
>
> You can enable Markdown ".md" file viewing support in Firefox, which is
> confirmed to work alongside the awesome OverbiteFF project by
> installing this Firefox Add-on:
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/markdown-viewer/
>
> Just install the Add-on, and create a "0" item type with the extension
> of ".md" on your Gopherhole.  If you don't have the Add-on installed,
> it will gracefully fallback to plain text and still render "readable".
>
> I will update the Overbite for Android client to mimic the same
> behavior, and will no longer depend on the "m" item type for rendering
> Markdown text-files.

I this this is a good compromise. It works now and in the future
and doesn't break anything :)

> Later this week, I will see about putting together an actual spec sheet
> of the Markdown parser, basically, a model Markdown document that can
> be used to make sure every supported Markdown element renders across
> all supported Gopher browsers that include Markdown support.  It will
> utilize all the syntax outlined in the documentation link I provided
> above.
>
> One of the reasons I also want to support Markdown, is that I am
> planning on making SCM gateways for Gopher that anybody can download
> and use on their Gopherhole.  So, your visitors will be-able to
> transparently access your Subversion, Mercurial, and of course Git
> repositories right from Gopherspace.  I also want to start blogging
> more on Gopherspace, but don't like just using plain-text, nor do I
> want to ever use HTML on Gopherspace.  A good middleground that will
> please even the most hardcore Gopher user is to use Markdown.  This
> way, my visitors aren't forced to load a large HTML document, nor are
> my visitors forced to just look at boring plain-text.

Haha I was thinking about doing this last night :)

Let me know if I can help in any way!

cheers
James