[gopher] Running a MUD, was: Re: cgod - a new prototype gopher daemon

Cameron Kaiser spectre at floodgap.com
Sun Dec 21 20:53:46 UTC 2014

> Essentially, the MUD driver determines which language to use for all
> the rest. Unless you want to roll your own, nearly all I have heard of
> implement some dialect of LPC, which I believe has been some
> Object-oriented C-like language.

<wizard>
That's only true for those descended from Lars Pensj|'s original LPmud
(such as MudOS, DGD, Amylaar, others). It's the type of MUD I prefer,
used to play and even wrote code on, especially because it's very
dynamic and sophisticated, but it needs a lot of work if you're not
starting with an existing mudlib (and if you do choose a mudlib, then
you end up being not much more than a clone of that mudlib -- look at all
the Nightmare-type LPs out there).

There are others like DikuMuds which have less creativity than LPs but
are much easier to get started and are fun if you're primarily interested
in hack'n'slash.

MOOs, MUCKs, MUSHes and other non-combat-oriented MUDs round out the list,
each sui generis and usually programmed in some sort of MUD-specific
dynamic language.
</wizard>

-- The superfluous is very necessary. -- Voltaire -----------------------------