[gopher] Possible to perform item type searches in Veronica-2?

Jeff W simple at sdf.org
Fri Dec 26 01:37:28 UTC 2014

James Mills <prologic at shortcircuit.net.au> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 26, 2014 at 7:28 AM, Kevin Veroneau <kevin at veroneau.net> wrote:
> >
> > A keyword command would work nicely, would something like "1:atari st"
> > work?  Or is colon used for something else or is it used in common
> > searching?  Or maybe this "type=1 atari st".
>
> I'd be okay with 1:<keyword>
> Problem is how do you support more complex searches?
> Say we (maybe I) develop a full text search engine?

For local searches you can do whatever you want, like use mime types
or file extensions.  If your CGI and server allows wildcard expansions
then the usual regex stuff would work, though maybe not so secure.

You could also use layered refinement, ie. 1st round returns a results
page for a keyword search + a "refine these results" search menu which
filters for Type, 2nd keyword, etc.  You'd likely need to limit the
number of returned results to keep things manageable.

Jeff