[gopher] Any webcomics fans out here?

Mateusz Viste mateusz at viste-family.net
Sun Feb 23 18:20:16 UTC 2014

Hi,

I like to read a few web comics from time to time. I prefer to read when
I'm away from a computer, preferably on my smartphone. My problem is
that checking for updates of my favorite webcomics is taking ages on a
smallish screen with a sluggish android web browser.

On the other hand, Overbite is working very nicely (fast!) on my
Android, therefore I came up with the idea that I will read webcomics on
my phone via gopher since now on.

All this to say that I've set up a little gopher service that grabs
automatically updates from latest webcomics I like, and allow to browse
them via gopher. If there are some webcomics freaks like me out here,
I'd love to hear what you think about this:

gopher://gopher.viste-family.net/1/comics

Not sure that sharing the code of this 'GophComix' engine would be of
any interest to the community... But if so, I might package it to make
it possible for others to reuse it for similar purposes.

// complain mode on
Too bad that the android version of overbite do not supports displaying
images on html pages :/ Is it something that have any chance to get
improved in some future, or should I consider Overbite on Android an
'end of life' software? :)
// complain mode off

cheers,
Mateusz