[gopher] .gopher domains available (free, of course)

Alistair alistair at alistairsserver.no-ip.org
Mon Oct 27 22:33:44 UTC 2014

On 21/10/2014 21:08, Ciprian Dorin Craciun wrote:
> Because I wanted to try the `gopher` TLD, but without delegating my
> whole DNS traffic to OpenNIC, I've written a small document on how to
> use the OpenNIC DNS servers to resolve **only** the `gopher` domains.
> At the following link I cover how to achieve this via either
> `dnscache` or `unbound`, both recursive resolvers that one can easily
> install on his system.

I do something similar on my router/firewall/server/everything else box
that runs my home network.

I use bind for DNS and have all the opennic zones set up as forward
zones in a similar way in my named.conf.local file to reduce the burden
on the opennic servers and keep the icann tlds resolving normally.

The config looks something like this:

// opennic forwarders
zone "opennic.glue" {type forward; forwarders { <primary>; <secondary>;
}; };
zone "geek" {type forward; forwarders { <primary>; <secondary>; }; };
<etc etc...>
zone "gopher" {type forward; forwarders { <primary>; <secondary>; }; };

Obviously replace the forward server addresses with your nearest server :)

Alistair.