[gopher] Gopher+ support in the community

R.A.Pavlov webmaster at ankylym.ru
Wed Apr 22 23:16:01 UTC 2015

On 23.04.2015 01:18, Kevin Veroneau wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm curious to know how many widely used Gopher clients properly support
> Gopher+ and what's the communities general view about supporting it.

I like gopher+ and would be happy to see it alive, although now it is
fully supported AFAIK only in the UMN server (undeservedly discontinued)
and client (but their support is close to perfect and can be considered
a reference implementation).

One should notice however that gopher+ is just an extension. It has
never been and should not be obligatory, and nothing can prevent from
inventing other extensions (provided that support can be added to the
clients) in a way similar to web browser extensions. Would be nice if
gopher+ could be added as a plugin (library) to the existing clients
like Lynx or Overbite.