[gopher] Gopher+ support in the community

Kevin Veroneau kevin at veroneau.net
Thu Apr 23 00:02:46 UTC 2015

One "optional" feature I am highly considering for the Qt4 version is a lazy loading "gopher TreeView" widget.  So, when enabled via a button on the toolbar, a easy to navigate gopher tree(generated using Gopher menus) of the current server will spring to life.  It will make navigating and finding information very quick and shows a TRUE advantage of gopher over HTTP.  I personally love how gopher organizes information in an easy to parse menu/tree.  The tree initially will only display gopher menu items.  So to access documents, the user still needs to access the menu itself to see it's documents and information items.

Other features I plan for both client is an "optional" gopher type filter.  So say you do a Veronica search, you can do a client-side filter to say only show images or text items.  Yet another TRUE advantage of Gopher over HTTP.  Basically, the clients I do make will truly try and leverage the powerful features within the protocol itself.  Of course, all these enhancement can be entirely turned off for that traditional gopher experience we all know and love.

Kevin.