[gopher] Any webcomics fans out here?

Walter Vermeir wvermeir at gmail.com
Sat Apr 25 17:43:32 UTC 2015

Op 23-02-14 om 19:20 schreef Mateusz Viste:
> Hi,
>
> I like to read a few web comics from time to time. I prefer to read
> when I'm away from a computer, preferably on my smartphone. My problem
> is that checking for updates of my favorite webcomics is taking ages
> on a smallish screen with a sluggish android web browser.
>
> On the other hand, Overbite is working very nicely (fast!) on my
> Android, therefore I came up with the idea that I will read webcomics
> on my phone via gopher since now on.
>
> All this to say that I've set up a little gopher service that grabs
> automatically updates from latest webcomics I like, and allow to
> browse them via gopher. If there are some webcomics freaks like me out
> here, I'd love to hear what you think about this:
>
> gopher://gopher.viste-family.net/1/comics
>
> Not sure that sharing the code of this 'GophComix' engine would be of
> any interest to the community... But if so, I might package it to make
> it possible for others to reuse it for similar purposes.
>
> // complain mode on
> Too bad that the android version of overbite do not supports
> displaying images on html pages :/ Is it something that have any
> chance to get improved in some future, or should I consider Overbite
> on Android an 'end of life' software? :)
> // complain mode off
>
> cheers,
> Mateusz

I was reading back postings on this list and noticed this message.

On my Samsung galaxy tab 3, android version 4.4.2  I am using Overbite
for Android.

... and I have no problems on displaying image on HTML-pages. It works
just great.  Maybe the Android version makes a difference.

Test links that works for me;
gopher://gopher.viste.fr/h/comics/gophcomix.cgi?dilbert
gopher://gopher.viste.fr/h/comics/gophcomix.cgi?oglaf
gopher://port70.net/hnecron/THEGAME.html

And while I have the opportunity;

Thanks to Cameron Kaiser for Overbite!

Greetings,
Walter