[gopher] This game I have been working on might be of interest to Gopherites...

Kevin Veroneau kevin at veroneau.net
Wed Feb 11 15:34:00 UTC 2015

Unfortunately I didn't have much time over the past few days to update the
website CSS, however the game is accessible over a standard telnet connection.
I also recently found out that the Windows telnet client(at least on XP)
doesn't work very well.  So, I am giving out some Beta codes here so that
people can test out Telnet clients and let me know which ones fair better.
Last night I updated the telnet protocol to use char-at-a-time, rather than
use LINEMODE.  Check out my Gopherholes Library/RFC documents for info on what
I mean if your curious.

Anyways, I managed to get ConnectBot to finally work with my Telnet server, so
if you have an Android device at all, install ConnectBot and connect to
hackers-edge.com:1337 using it's Telnet protocol.

These beta codes are one-time use codes, so please don't redeem them unless
you truly want to help out with some initial testing.  While the base
infrastrure is in place, there isn't yet any actual *gameplay*.  You can
connect to other in-game hosts, browse their files, check and send email,
etc...  Also, all in-game chat commands should be working, so you can join the
public channel and talk with anybody else who might be online at the same
time.  The codes are:

DMN5D
6TA64

Once you create an account, you will see a basic entry form on your account
page.  Enter in the code to redeem and enable your account.  Once your account
is enabled, you will then be-able to create a new character to play in the
game as.  You can view this document here to learn more about character
creation:

http://www.hackers-edge.com/HelpCenter/tutorials/first-steps-creating-
character.html

There are a few other tutorials there as well that might be helpful.  I have
also posted more updates yesterday on my Development Diary located here:

http://www.hackers-edge.com/Forums/devblog

Once you redeem the code, you will have access to post in the closed beta
forum located here:

http://www.hackers-edge.com/Forums/closed-beta

Please let me know what you think of the current game engine so far, tonight I
should be adding more features which will be provided directly on the message
of the day(the message you see when you log into the game).