[gopher] Question

Driedfruit driedfruit at mindloop.net
Sat Feb 14 01:26:15 UTC 2015

On Sat, 14 Feb 2015 11:12:12 +1000
James Mills <prologic at shortcircuit.net.au> wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 14, 2015 at 10:57 AM, Driedfruit <driedfruit at mindloop.net>
> wrote:
>
> > You have to admit, though, that modern HTTP does have it's
> > undeniable strengths over gopher.

Forgot to add, "despite being a part of an inferior platform" there :)

> Being a web developer for over a decade now
> the only advantages that exist as far as I'm concerned are:
>
> * Caching
> * Compression
> * Negotiation (rarely used)
>
> Did I miss anything?

If "negotiation" includes specifying byte ranges, along with
acceptable types and languages, then, nope, that's pretty much it.

> Also IHMO Gopher could have had/used such capabilities
> without necessarily bastardizing the protocol.

We did play around with something like that around 2 years ago (and
probably many times before) on this list and on IRC, but it was
considered a bastardization after all :)

--
driedfruit