[gopher] Question

delfin delfin at segonquart.net
Sat Feb 14 23:56:23 UTC 2015

Hi NN NN, Hi all:

Good to point the difference between a server and a client.

Here an old link that might be of use [ in case you do not know it ]

http://web.simmons.edu/~chen/nit/NIT%2793/93-289-rieger.html [7]

NNNN:

 	* Think of the server, and think of information, and of documents, and
of search.Does Gopher fill your needs? Then use it.
 	* Think of PostScript or think about the possibility to dial (connect
) to a server and receive the data, using your grandparents home phone.
Forget about the presentation layer, that belongs to the
publishing/advertising/entertaintment industry. Even in the year 2003 it
was recommended not to use CSS.
 	* Think of a printer talking to a printer. (Machines can talk to
machines, really ).
 	* Think of aural data communication ( not just visual communication,
as we learned in the nineties ).
 	* Think -- for example -- about the SMTP protocol we are using in this
list. Shall I use a IRC chat? Is there any need to compare them ? Uhm.

Et all

Cheers
---

Delfi Ramirez

My digital signature [2]

+34 633 589231
 delfin at segonquart.net [3]

twitter: delfinramirez

 IRC: segonquart Skype: segonquart [4]

http://segonquart.net [5]

http://delfiramirez.info
 [6]

On 2015-02-14 20:49, NN NN wrote:

> On 14/02/2015 17:44, NN NN wrote: does Gopher have any use nowadays? Depends what you are asking exactly. If you mean 'mainstream use', then no, gopher is a dead technology. If you mean 'any possible niche use', then sure - look around on the gopherspace, there are many of us doing stuff with gopher. ~150 gopher servers are running worldwide as of today. What about HTTP, I think that the main advantage of HTTP is that due to it CSS, Javascript,Flash etc. appeared. These work just as well in Gopher. HTTP and Gopher are protocols, while html/css/javascript/flash are script or file formats (of course how many gopher clients support css/flash/etc is a totally different question). It's somewhat like saying "usb pendrives are good, because I can store my spreadsheet files on them" - you could just as well store them on a floppy or a CD. Same story with Gopher vs HTTP. Mateusz _______________________________________________ Gopher-Project mailing list

Thank you for your answer, Mateusz. Maybe you are right about CSS,JS
etc, but I don't see a client for Gopher which supports CSS in
Gopher-sites. Probably I searched badly, but in Gopherspace moslty I
found the information about Gopher itself and its advantages, so I
didin't manage to find use for Gopher.

[1]

Links:
------