[gopher] GopherMole - a gopher media crawler

Mateusz Viste mateusz at viste.fr
Sat Jan 3 09:55:35 UTC 2015

On 01/03/2015 10:40 AM, James Mills wrote:
> You don't have my server (but it's new):
> gopher://daisy.shortcircuit.net.au/ <http://daisy.shortcircuit.net.au/>

Thanks, I've added it right now to the database. Will be spidered very
soon. That brings us to a gopherspace of 137 active servers today.

 > My only retort to this is that UTF-8
 > drgrades gracefully to ISO-8859-1

Quite untrue. UTF-8 doesn't 'degrade' to anything, unless only low-ascii
characters are used. Anything else gets encoded into 2,3 or 4 bytes-long
code points, and these are guaranteed to be misrendered by any client
unaware of UTF-8.

Mateusz