[gopher] History and future of "the gopher project"

Brian Koontz brian at pongonova.net
Fri Jan 9 17:55:33 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jan 08, 2015 at 12:45:26AM +0100, kaltheat at googlemail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently asked similiar questions in IRC (#gopherproject on freenode), but
> without sufficient responds. So here again (with wider audience?):
>
> What was "the gopher project"?
> What is "the gopher project"?
> How is "the gopher project" related to Debian (the mailing list runs on a
> debian domain)?
> What should "the gopher project" be?

It's just the name of the channel.  I don't think there's an insidious
agenda here.

> The project should reflect the history, present and future of gopher as a
> protocol and gopherspace as the usage of the protocol. Speaking of the future
> this would mean that it could coordinate new developments (protocol, software,
> services) and "recruiting" of new users/developers. To be able to do this sort
> of things the project (as any project) needs a structure and people creating
> and taking part in this structure. Maybe one can think of "the gopher project"
> as a W3C for gopher (I must admit that I don't exactly know how the W3C works
> and what it does).

Yeah, that sounds about right.  All encapsulate by this list, the IRC
channel, and those of us who continue to carry the torch because it's damn
fun.

  --Brian

--
Don't have gopher?  Visit the world's first wiki-based gopher proxy!
http://www.pongonova.org/gopherwiki