[gopher] History and future of "the gopher project"

James Mills prologic at shortcircuit.net.au
Sat Jan 17 23:32:03 UTC 2015

On Sun, Jan 18, 2015 at 5:41 AM, Cameron Kaiser <spectre at floodgap.com>
wrote:

> > > Although I respect (and in some ways wouldn't mind) a central planning
> > > process for Gopher, I think that makes what is for many of us a fun
> sideline
> > > unnecessarily bureaucratic.
> >
> > This is a good point: bureaucracy shouldn't evolve!
> > But what could be bureaucratic? People could work/play on as they used
> to do.
>
> In that case, what would such a central approach solve? Perhaps I don't
> understand clearly what you're proposing. It sounded like a W3C-like
> consortium, and I think the W3C's drawbacks have become rather apparent.

Being quite new to Gopher myself (old things new again?)
I also don't' really understand the discussion so far
or what the proposal is.

I also happen to agree with some other comments
wherein centralization has never really proven to be
a good thing. The Internet at large was designed to
be a decentralized homogenous network of interconnected
networks and computers. "Central Authority" has no place
on or in the Internet (but recent times are forcing this to
change and I believe it's a **BAD** thing).

If Gopher is to survive as a protocol and medium IHMO
it **MUST** remain simple; decentralized and open.

> Based on this,
>
> > What could be constraining and for whom?
> > For example: If there was a guide on how to setup Bucktooth which(the
> guide)
> > has been developed and was maintained by "the gopher project" anyone
> could
> > write h[is|er] own guide or propose changes or whatever. In which way
> could
> > this be constaining?
>
> It seems more like you're actually proposing a central resource or
> repository
> for this data, which doesn't really need anyone's permission ...

Indeed. If your ultimate goal is to help new users
being more content to Gopherspace then this is
fairly easily achieved IHMO without anything special.

You need: a "presence", "good content" and "a user base".

cheers
James

James Mills / prologic

E: prologic at shortcircuit.net.au