[gopher] History and future of "the gopher project"

Cameron Kaiser spectre at floodgap.com
Sun Jan 18 20:17:46 UTC 2015

> Today we could say that there already is such a central place where many
> gopherians link to and which creator many gopherians take as an authority -
> and this is floodgap and you. (Let me be clear: I hadn't this idea before
> [when I wrote my first mail]
> and I didn't have the purpose to bring down an emperor ...)

I don't see myself as an "emperor" of anything -- although I end up being
in the vanguard because most of the extant client software currently in use
was either partially or mostly written by me, and of course V-2, most
actual *servers* nowadays seem to use Gophernicus. So there are other
authoritiative sources, but to your specific point:

> One fact strengthens
> this appearance: gopherproject.org directly redirects to floodgap ...
> And this central place is not in the hand of the community and it does not
> provide content for the complete community (for instance weather reports are
> interresting for people being located next to you) and it strongly relies on a
> single person - on your goodwill, on your motivation, on your spare time, on
> your opportunity(maybe wrong word) to constantly run and maintain servers ...

gopherproject.org points to me as a historical footnote. John Goerzen
created it as an alias to quux, but decided not to renew it and offered it
to me, which I accepted to keep it valid.

I certainly don't mind relinquishing it, since it serves no other special
purpose, but because it does have some significance, I intend to be somewhat
choosy about whom or what I release it to.

-- How are you gentlemen? All your base are belong to us! ---------------------