[gopher] OpenNIC .gopher registrations available

Kacper Gutowski mwgamera at gmail.com
Sat Dec 3 15:59:14 UTC 2016

On 3 December 2016 at 08:35, James Mills <prologic at shortcircuit.net.au> wrote:
> I tired to reach this URI from OpenNIC dns servers but also ran into
> trouble.
> I run a custom dns servers locally and I'm not completely sure why I kept
> running in to:
>
> $ host reg.for.free
> reg.for.free has address 127.0.53.53
> reg.for.free mail is handled by 10 your-dns-needs-immediate-attention.free.

Whatever you do, this is the usual result you would get using the regular
ICANN DNS, not from OpenNIC.  The thing is that "free" is a valid gTLD
and some of those new gTLDs decided never to give NXDOMAIN for second
level domains and resolve into the above instead.

$ host -t txt reg.for.free
reg.for.free descriptive text "Your DNS configuration needs immediate
attention see https://icann.org/namecollision"

$ host reg.for.free $(curl -s
'https://api.opennicproject.org/geoip/?bare&res=1')
Using domain server:
Name: 96.90.175.167
Address: 96.90.175.167#53
Aliases:

reg.for.free has address 173.160.58.202
reg.for.free has IPv6 address 2001:470:f032:1::254

-k