[gopher] New desktop GUI Gopher Client (Java) in development

gopher4all at fastmail.com gopher4all at fastmail.com
Mon Jan 4 22:05:27 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I'm new here, this is my first post. Cameron (Floodgap) pointed me to
here. I had no idea there was a mailing list like this, so I am not up
to date on Gopher developments by the community.

I've been obsessed by the Gopher protocol for about a year now and
wanted to learn developing JavaFX apps in Java, so that was a good
combination. Therefore, I've stared working on a Gopher GUI client.

I've posted an early screenshot on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/vintzend/status/683710791271497728 (yes I should
have posted it on my gopherspace too, will do soon). Note that I didn't
spend much time on the layout out yet, I first want the thing to be
stable.

Right now the GUI-stuff works (tabs, back/next....) and I am adding
support for more and more Gopher items (right now menu and text files
are working), I plan to add as much gopher types as I can. Other
features that I've planned are good bookmark management, keeping history
and I'll do my best to make it highly configurable.

I know Java is not popular on the desktop anymore, but I believe it'll
be possible to release executables for Windows and Mac (not sure of
Linux), not really looked into that yet. I plan to release the source on
GitHub, once I have ironed out some bugs.

Let me know if you have ideas for new features or want to share your
opinion.

Kind regards from The Netherlands,
Vincent