[gopher] Gopherplus.org management

Denis BERNARD denis.bernard at laposte.net
Thu Jan 28 19:58:56 UTC 2016

Many thanks for your offerings of hosting gopherplus.org! However it not a
technical support I am requesting: I can host this Internet site on my own
home server (both for 70 and 80) like I do it for my domain oceamer.com.
Today, gopherplus.org is hosted on a commercial web site provider that
already mirror my home server under the domain oceamer.fr. (yes, only on
port 80!) for a cheep price. This is to prevent power or ADSL outage since I
moved last year from a big city into a small village.

My idea for gopherplus.org is to do something like these planet websites
using RSS/ATOM feeds to aggregate posts from several personal weblogs. I am
looking for somebody fluent in English to receive voluntary posts from
Gopher users, edit these texts (mistakes, typos…) and moderate them if
necessary. An other difficulty is about clock time: we are all living all
around the planet, we need some rest, so this task can’t be distributed
among several editors living in different time zones.

As the goal of this new Internet site is to inform on a large scale people
about Gopher, it is absolutely necessary to be on the port 80; it is
necessary too to have a Gopher version of that website as a proof of
concept. More, I think it is important that the port 80 version of this site
should look like any mainstream websites. (Using graphical chart like those
websites owned by geeks or activists could ruin our credibility!)

Today, gopherplus.org is a simple static website powered by a soft I wrote.
My blog engine is a replacement of Nanoblogger blog engine wrote in Bash. I
did, in the a past, a converter (nb2gopher) to provide Gopher menus
(translating HTML posts into plain text using the “dump” option of Lynx)
from Nanoblogger. For the present time, I am rewriting fBlog because Fortran
programming is in strong progress. I plan, in the future, to have fBlog
playing 70 port. This is a huge task because I want to code everything by
myself even for Markdown support. In fact, I don’t have choice  according
there not libraries available for Fortran outside intensive computing. But
for the person accepting to steer gopherplus.org, the choice of the software
is up to him!

There is no urgency, I am waiting for any offer posted to my mail box for a
while.

I am also writing an introduction what about what Gopher is that I will
publish on this site. Soon, I will ask you to verify this text!

-- deber