[gopher] Questions about the UMN gopher client

Héctor Abreu habreu71 at gmail.com
Sat May 28 19:17:17 UTC 2016

Hi,

@Kacper  Thank you very much! Yes, now I understand and I can access both,
the resources with "w" and the menus under a selector with "o".

@Cameron  Thank you for the info! I guess I will email John directly
sometimes. I like Lynx and use it everyday for web browsing in the command
line, but for some strange reason I have not been able to make Lynx to work
with UTF-8 correctly in gopher when the client is installed on ARM
(Raspberry Pi). Lynx displays UTF-8 in gopher correctly only when installed
on my non-ARM Linux boxes (AMD, Intel). The old UMN gopher client does
display UTF-8 correctly regardless the architecture. I guess the problem is
somewhere in the combination of Lynx + ARM + Gopher. Also, the UMN client
allows me to go directly to an item in a directory by entering its number
and hitting Enter. With Lynx I have to go through all the items 1 by 1...
but yes, Lynx is "sexier" than UMN client.

Regards,

Héctor.