[gopher] Future of this list, etc.

Christoph Lohmann 20h at r-36.net
Sun Oct 1 18:38:21 UTC 2017

Greetings.

On Sun, 01 Oct 2017 20:38:21 +0200 Mateusz Viste <mateusz at nospam.viste.fr> wrote:
> On Sun, 01 Oct 2017 17:39:49 +0100, Matt Owen (Jaruzel) wrote:
>
> Hi Jaruzel. Nice nickname, although it calls for some unwanted memories
> that many people would prefer to forget :)
>
> > What are we actaully trying to fix here?
>
> I wouldn't say "fixing". Rather "planning long-term".
>
> > Assuming:
> > 1. Gmane.org NNTP is still staying online?
>
> For now. Who knows if it will be there one year from now. 10 years?
> The Usenet, on the other hand, is very likely to be around for a very
> long time.
>
> > If it's just a case of losing the mailinglist system and we can't move
> > to lists.debian.org, then surely thats an easy fix with a low-cost
> > server (such as the new gopherproject.org server) ?
>
> Or use the *free* (no cost for using) Usenet that is already serving the
> world reliably and consistently for almost 40 years.
>
> > Developing a 'complete replacement' solution seems overkill if the Gmane
> > NNTP stays up.
>
> Not developing. Simply subscribe to comp.infosystems.gopher and we're
> done with this problem for good.

My  proposal  for  gopherproject.org  was a proposal. That’s what we are
discussing here.

## The NNTP Way

So  for  now  there are two newsgroups: gmane.network.gopher.general for
the mailinglist and comp.infosystems.gopher.

The questions which we need to answer are:
1. Will we move to gmane.network.gopher.general or comp.infosystems.gopher?
2. When will we move there? Any set date?
3. How do we get all non-natives of the usenet world to move there?
4. Do we need some web interface for being searchable by Google or is this
   done already?

## The Mailinglist Way

1. Can we move to lists.debian.org?

Sincerely,