[gopher] Should we be mirroring Gopher sites via FTP?

Kim Holviala kim at holviala.com
Fri Oct 6 09:58:49 UTC 2017

> On 18 Sep 2017, at 07:34, Kim Holviala <kim at holviala.com> wrote:
>
> On 18 Sep 2017, at 00:08, Cameron Kaiser <spectre at floodgap.com> wrote:
>>
>> I realize this is bikeshedding, but given I've seen 7070 serve for test
>> gopher servers in the past (and appears in /etc/services as ARCP), perhaps
>> 7443 would be more appropriate, which is completely unencumbered and even
>> suggests what the service actually does.
>
> Good enough reasoning - gophernicus.org is now running TLS on port 7443. Clients can probe the TLS port by fetching caps.txt so no need to guess anything (ServerTLSPort).
>
> gopher://gophernicus.org/0/caps.txt

Me being the idiot that I am... I completely forgot to update the firewall rule for the above port change. So for a few weeks the gopher-over-TLS did *not* work, but it does now:

https://gophernicus.org:7443/caps.txt

Gophernicus supports simple HTTPS/0.9 (combination which actually doesn't exist) which is why the above url works in Firefox.

- Kim