[Guessnet-devel] Simple instructions please

Nigel Ridley nigel at rmk.co.il
Tue Jan 17 18:44:56 UTC 2006

Using Kubuntu Breezy Badger on a Toshiba Satellite 2805-S201

I don't really mean to bother the list with a newbie type question but
after having read the man pages, the guessnet faq's and searched Google
I still can't figure out what to do to get my laptop to change between
my 'home' network (static ip address) and the one at the office (dhcp).

I tried copying the interfaces example and changing the ip addresses for
the static  'home scheme', commented out the schemes I don't need but
then I'm not sure which command to issue to get it to change networks --
I tried 'ifup eth0' but it said eth0 was already configured. I tried
'guessnet --ifupdown', 'guessnet' and a few other options but still
couldn't get it to connect using dhcp.

I'm not sure but maybe it has something to do with my original
/etc/network/interfaces:

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# This is a list of hotpluggable network interfaces.
# They will be activated automatically by the hotplug subsystem.
mapping hotplug
	script grep
	map eth0

# The primary network interface
iface eth0 inet static
	address 192.168.x.x
	netmask 255.255.255.0
	network 192.168.x.x
	broadcast 192.168.x.255
	gateway 192.168.x.x
	# dns-* options are implemented by the resolvconf package, if installed
	dns-nameservers 212.116.161.37 62.128.62.62

Notice the *hotpluggable network interfaces* section -- do I include it
or not? What is 'script grep'?

Anyway, after I get my /etc/network/interfaces sorted out, how do I
actually 'run' guessnet (to switch between different networks)?

Thanks in advance -- and any online references will be read :-)

Nigel Ridley