[Guessnet-devel] External script providing mappings

Enrico Zini enrico at enricozini.org
Fri Jul 4 05:43:07 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jul 03, 2008 at 11:10:09PM +0200, Leon Bogaert wrote:

> I thought about using a seconds home-brew scripts which uses guessnet
> and stdin. Are there any pointers on how stdin should be formated?
> I tried to just cat the iface wlan0-***** lines, but that just gave
> some parse errors.

Guessnet can work in ifupdown mode (either when run as guessnet-ifupdown
or when run with -i) or stand-alone.

In ifupdown mode, it reads the scan information from a file (default
/etc/network/interfaces, or you changed it with -C) and command line
options from commandline and stdin (ifupdown doesn't allow passing
command line arguments to scripts).

In stand-alone mode, it reads the scan information from stdin (or from
the file specified with -C) and the options from command line.

"man guessnet", section "TEST DESCRIPTION FILE", has a description of
the syntax you'd use in stand-alone mode: if you want to pass scans on
stdin, you need to use that.

If you want to stick to /etc/network/interfaces syntax for scans, you
can generate your snippet on a temp file and then have guessnet use it
with -C.

Ciao,

Enrico

--