[Guessnet-devel] Guessnet linkbeat query interval, intel e1000e driver

Graham, David david.graham at intel.com
Wed Oct 21 16:31:45 UTC 2009

Hi,
I've been looking into a couple of issues reported to INTEL that involve guessnet.

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=2792884&group_id=42302&atid=447449
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=2803095&group_id=42302&atid=447449

These reports point to a bug in the some e1000e driver versions where we were not updating the data we provided in response to a "SIOCGMIIREG" link_beat query, leading guessnet to think that there was a link even after a cable had been pulled.

The bug is easy to fix, we would process the SIOCGMIIREG query whenever it is requested. However, we have had problems with some of our network silicon if we process an SIOCGMIIREG during link autonegotiation (typically  < 100ms), and we would like to understand our exposure to this on systems running guessnet.

Can one of you help me understand what controls the request interval with which guessnet queries for link beat, so that I can get an idea of what our exposure might be ? Unfortunately I have no prior experience with guessnet, though I do have a Ubuntu "jaunty" installation available, with default network configuration, for experimentation.

Thanks.
Dave