[hardening-discuss] -DFORTIFY_SOURCE seems to cause SIGBUS on sparc

Kees Cook kees at outflux.net
Thu Jun 19 19:15:45 UTC 2008

Hi Stefan,

On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 08:38:33PM +0200, Stefan Fritsch wrote:
> I had this bug report which seems to point to gcc doing something
> wrong on sparc with -DFORTIFY_SOURCE and causing SIGBUS:

> Has anyone seen something like that before? Does any other
> FORTIFY_SOURCE-using distribution have sparc?

Hurm.  I don't think so.  Fedora/RHEL has been the largest user of
FORTIFY_SOURCE so far.

Instead of dropping it entirely for apache2, what about just doing a
arch test for it?  Something like this should work:

ifneq (,$(findstring :$(DEB_HOST_ARCH_CPU):,:sparc:))
    # enable FORTIFY_SOURCE on non-sparc
    CPPFLAGS += -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
endif

Any chance of getting a minimal reproducer so we can open a gcc or glibc
bug for it?

-Kees

--
Kees Cook                                            @outflux.net