[hardening-discuss] deprecating hardening-wrapper/includes

Thijs Kinkhorst thijs at debian.org
Sun Jun 2 15:34:25 UTC 2013

Hi all,

Now that wheezy is out the door I think we may want to revisit the status
of hardening-wrapper/hardening-includes. While the package itself
certainly can still be useful, people probably should not be adding it to
their build depends anymore and use dpkg's solution instead. I've updated
this question on the wiki to advise against it:
http://wiki.debian.org/HardeningWalkthrough#My_package_already_uses_hardening-wrapper_or_hardening-includes._Should_I_switch_to_dpkg-buildflags.3F

Many packages still depend on hardening-wrapper or -includes and I don't
think there's an immediate need to be pushing real hard. So I propose to
at this point just add it to Lintian to warn if it's in a package's build
depends. Agreed?

Cheers,
Thijs