[hardening-discuss] fPIC abd fPIE

Sandro Knauß bugs at sandroknauss.de
Sat Oct 8 11:42:13 UTC 2016

Hey,

I'm unsure if I'm writing to the right people, but I want to understand the
difference between -fPIE and -fPIC. So far I want to enable cpp/qt bindings
for gpgme. This works if I disable -fPIE but fails if I enable it. The error
is that Qt wants to -fPIE disabled and I'm wondering if that is is a wrong
assumption inside Qt or if is really a problem. Because at the end lintian is
not happy about the missing -fPIE for one executable. Maybe you can help here,
point to the right people or give me links to read it myself...

http://sandroknauss.de/files/gpgme1.0_1.7.0-2_amd64_without_hardening.build
http://sandroknauss.de/files/gpgme1.0_1.7.0-2_amd64_with_hardening.build

Best Regards,

sandro