[helix-maintainers] Sarge debs & new repo

Wouter van Heyst wouter@vidicode.org
Wed, 25 Aug 2004 16:49:33 +0200

On Tue, Aug 24, 2004 at 04:53:13PM +0200, Thomas Maurer wrote:

<snip>

> > Thanks, that was what I was looking for.
> > I've just built a sarge deb, and it occurred to me it is versioned exactly
> > the same as the sid deb, but it has different dependencies. I think we
> > should add a 0+sarge1 suffix or so for the sarge deb, taking care of
> > possible upgrade problems. Also, the same filename for different
> > debs will not work with a pool based repository.
> >
> > Proposed sarge version: 1.0.0-0+sarge1
>
> Already done, although I'm not so familiar with dpkg, thus your proposal
> could work better.

The idea is to lower the sid version by one, and append a suffix. That
way upgrades work, upgrading from 1.0.0-1sarge to 1.0.0-1 won't, because
the latter isn't seen as a higher version number. Same thing with the
number at the end of the sarge bit, that way one can potentially have
multiple sarge releases (bugfixes etc).

> See: http://helix.alioth.debian.org/deb/dists/sarge/main/binary-i386/
>
> The diff between sarge and sid is AFAIK the gtk version (2.4.3 instead
> of 2.4.4). libpango has a diff, too. That's all.

At the moment, yes. Might need to try this again with a totally frozen
sarge.

Wouter