[Hwdb-devel] free software community-wide hwdb

Zenaan Harkness zen@freedbms.net
Wed, 16 Jun 2004 14:37:05 +1000

Well, there haven't been a lot of comments in the last day.

For want of a name, I'll call this project-as-I-see-it the Free Software
Community Hardware Database (CHD). <disclaim>This may change.</>

There are currently three individuals directly willing to contribute to
the CHD, and I have accepted one of the four hosting offers.

In terms of a Debian-specific hw db, there are two ways to do this:

1) We pull data from a Debian-specific HCL (as w/ other distros).

2) We have the CHD be the source for Debian's HCL.

Either way is fine of course - whatever people prefer to do.

The CHD intends to be both comprehensive and diligently maintained such
that it will be an exemplary alternative to any existing HCL.

We will also actively work with all FS distro's to munge our data into
multiple and varied formats that are exactly suited to their intended
and/ or existing use. YAML, XML, OGDL, Text, SQL, C, you name it, we'll
munge into it.

We shall have a web page up in the next week or three (or four or five
:).

We welcome any and all comments, constructive criticisms, etc. For now,
either use this list, or send directly to me.

Regards to all
Zenaan