[I386-uclibc-devel] "cross-"compiler for i486-linux-uclibc on arch:i386

David Schmitt david at schmitt.edv-bus.at
Tue Jan 3 18:30:56 UTC 2006

Am Sonntag, 1. Januar 2006 23:35 schrieb David Schmitt:
> Hi!
>
> Attached are patches to build uclibc 0.9.28 and a uclibc enabled binutils
> and a i486-linux-uclibc-gcc.
>
> The patches are still "hack"-level.
>
> The patched binutils package is needed to build the new gcc
>
> The i486-linux-uclibc-gcc builds binaries that need the right
> (/usr/i486-linux-uclibc/lib/) LD_LIBRARY_PATH to run.

Meanwhile I have investigated this more:

I have put ld-uClibc.so into /lib through ignorance. Now the loader starts to
search in his "own" directory first, so /lib is implicitly prepended to the
default library search path, which causes a glibc libgcc_s.so to be found
first -> SEGV.

After talking it over with some local friends, I think a sensible way to go
forward now is to implement some multi-arch scheme [1] which would place the
loader into /lib/i486-linux-uclibc/ as well as putting all other
i486-linux-uclibc compiled libs under appropriate subdirectories of their
canonical locations as well as fixing ld-uClibc to search those locations.

This requires "some" adjustments to the build process though.

Regards, David

[1] See http://wiki.debian.org/IRC/debian-tech/Logs/20050927-multiarch,
especially http://www.linuxbase.org/futures/ideas/multiarch/index.html

--