Defining the workgroup objectives

Sven Mueller debian at incase.de
Tue Aug 9 14:29:48 UTC 2005

martin f krafft wrote on 09/08/2005 16:23:
> also sprach Sven Mueller <debian at incase.de> [2005.08.09.1558 +0200]:
>
>>Hmm, are we trying to build a replacement for /sbin/init or just some
>>supplement which starts most services after /sbin/init has done all the
>>basic initialisation stuff (like mounting /usr)? If we want a
>>replacement, we would have to go the compiled binary way (C or C++) and
>>can't use perl or python. We could use shell however.
>
> Since /sbin/init is actually linked against libc6:
>
> piper:~/debian/packages/stage> ldd /sbin/init
>   libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x00002aaaaabc3000)
>
> Why is runit statically linked?

I wasn't argueing that runit shouldn't be dynamically linked, but that
we can't use python or perl as you suggested.

>>Me too. Or some equivalent which can use _names_ instead of numbers for
>>the runlevel. Of course those names could simply be "1" "2" etc. by default.
>
> let's not call it runlevels. Let's call it profiles. /me ducks.

<grin> Profiles (even hardware-dependent-profiles) are no invention of
that Redmond company. And in a way, I would say that calling it profiles
would be a lot closer to reality than calling them "runlevels" which is
an extremely abstract name IMHO.

cu,
sven