bogoserver

martin f krafft madduck at debian.org
Tue Aug 23 16:51:55 UTC 2005

also sprach Fabio Fabbri <fabio at llgp.org> [2005.08.23.1832 +0200]:
> > while [ ! -e/var/run/my_semaphore ]; do sleep 1; done
>
> I don't consider this a semaphore. A semaphore should avoid busy
> waiting. Using my implementation, busy waiting is avoided, and the
> script can go on immediately (when the task is scheduled), without the 1
> second sleep. Exaggerating, using this kind of semaphores boot may
> become slower...

What do you think the netcat process does underneath the hood?

> In any case, TCP is provided by the kernel through system calls, IMHO
> this doesn't add too much complexity.

What do you do before the networking stack is configured?

--
 .''`.     martin f. krafft <madduck at debian.org>
`. `'`

Invalid/expired PGP (sub)keys? Use subkeys.pgp.net as keyserver!

micro$oft: "you've got questions? we've got dancing paperclips."