invoke-rc.d issues (was Re: "minit" point of view)

Erich Schubert erich.schubert at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 23:28:01 UTC 2005

Hi,
> > - a non-trivial integration obstacle is invoke-rc.d
> How so?

Non-standard init script actions.
And not enough information for dependency handling - do dependant
services need to be restarted, too? In many cases it's not needed,
IMHO.
And if you want to have a "proper" dependency handling (I'm not sure
of a real world case where I need that, but some people on the list
were heavily complaining about needing that...) and want to do a
rollback (i.e. stop dependant services), you also need to roll-forward
again, starting them again. And you also need to be able to do that
when you are sent a "stop", and a "start" later (which is not that
uncommon for upgrades)
I guess current runit can do these rollbacks, with this "want: up"
notion it seems to have.

best regards,
Erich Schubert
--
    erich@(mucl.de|debian.org)      --      GPG Key ID: 4B3A135C    (o_
  To understand recursion you first need to understand recursion.   //\