Designing a new init: configuration

a-aa a-aa at hollowtube.mine.nu
Sun Aug 28 02:05:02 UTC 2005

Erich Schubert wrote:

>Hi,
>

>>I should mention that I wrote rcparser a while ago as a initng plugin,
>>proof of concept, that boots using /etc/init.d sysv scripts, it was
>>rough, but not as much as I thought it'd be.
>>

>The question is, do we need a system that can use such plugins - I'd
>prefer a system so small it runs on the embedded systems I'm also
>developing on.
>minit works like a charm there - without fork(). Because it's a noMMU
>platform...
>When we design a new system, I'd love to have a core with as low
>requirements as that.
>Nothing wrong with doing more on a higher level though - if we can do
>a "ln -s /usr/sbin/initrc-parser run" so to speak - fine.

Yes, we need plugin support, it doesn't add much to the size, it allows
embeded systems to remove stuff it doesn't need, and more importantly,
it forces a ton of functions to run through the same system calls
instead of using hackish internal magic.  Forcing use of a plugin api
like system generally forces better code.  If you really want it small
you could easily do something like "static plugins", that uses defines
to allow some plugins to be statically compiled in (and still use the
plugin api).