Designing a new init: low level communication

Erich Schubert erich.schubert at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 11:53:51 UTC 2005

Hi,
> I think we resolve a lot of problem if we make a fs writable from the
> beginning. I think it can be a ram fs (i.e. in /boot/init) that

I've thought about that, and IIRC gentoo uses something alike.
Still I'd prefer to not need that.
Sure, we can do lots of nice stuff with it - especially by keeping
status information there, replacing init "live" can be done much
easier.

> An other point, I think we should forget runlevel. lilo and linux support
Sure, I agree. I don't have classic runlevels any more for a long time.
I have two runlevels - "full" and "suspend", and switch these before
and after suspend.

But it would be nice (but surely handleable via an external app) to
support classic runlevels via some mapping - e.g. 1=single 2=full
5=suspend

best regards,
Erich Schubert
--
    erich@(mucl.de|debian.org)      --      GPG Key ID: 4B3A135C    (o_
  To understand recursion you first need to understand recursion.   //\