Designing a new init: low level communication

Erich Schubert erich.schubert at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 14:35:55 UTC 2005

Hi,
> You can, just make sure the directory has the right permissions and it's
> not a problem.
Okay, if we get access control on BSD - e.g. Debian GNU/kFreeBSD -
thats fine for me.

> How would you handle stuff like suid/nice/chroot/chdir/optional "extra"
> stuff that can't really be done remotly?  Put all of it in defines in
> the core?

Use launch wrapper for that?
Just like its currently done with minit.
To start a daemon in a chroot, start it with "chroot $dir $daemon $parameters".
And maybe we end up having a launch wrapper for every daemon anyway,
which can then parse the configuration file etc. all outside of the
core init.
You can then easily build different wrappers, too.

Hmm... that would be an option to solve communication, too - the core
parts all retain a fd to talk to the main init process, the launchers
close that fd for the actual daemons.
If we find a configuration format (shell scripts are difficult then)
that can deal with the fd, that would be nice.

best regards,
Erich Schubert
--
    erich@(mucl.de|debian.org)      --      GPG Key ID: 4B3A135C    (o_
  To understand recursion you first need to understand recursion.   //\