Designing a new init: low level communication

Sven Mueller debian at incase.de
Mon Aug 29 19:29:38 UTC 2005

Erich Schubert wrote on 29/08/2005 13:53:
>>I think we resolve a lot of problem if we make a fs writable from the
>>beginning. I think it can be a ram fs (i.e. in /boot/init) that
>
> I've thought about that, and IIRC gentoo uses something alike.

True, they mount a 1MB "ramdisk" (tmpfs) on /mnt/.init.d
BTW: Though gentoo uses dependencies, they don't (yet) start multiple
services in parallel.

> Still I'd prefer to not need that.

If it can be avoided, it might be nice to do so, but if the
implementation get's a lot easier by using such a tmpfs area, it might
still be a valid option.

>>An other point, I think we should forget runlevel. lilo and linux support
>
> Sure, I agree. I don't have classic runlevels any more for a long time.
> I have two runlevels - "full" and "suspend", and switch these before
> and after suspend.

To each his own. I would not forget about "runlevels" (I currently don't
have a better name for it, perhaps "states" or "(service) collections"?)
alltogether, but fully supporting _names_ for them instead of _numbers_
would sure be nice (I wouldn't want to enforce them though). Allowing
aliases for them would be even nicer (like 'runlevel' FullNetworking
having an alias "3", so that 'telinit 3' and 'telinit FullNetworking'
would be equivalent).

> But it would be nice (but surely handleable via an external app) to
> support classic runlevels via some mapping - e.g. 1=single 2=full
> 5=suspend

Right. Should have read all before answering. ;-)

cu,
sven