Ubuntu already improved their boot time

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Wed Aug 31 15:15:02 UTC 2005

[Otavio Salvador]
> Maybe just a reordering like open GDM before? that cause that impression.

No.  Read
<URL:http://www.fooishbar.org/blog//tech/ubuntu/fastBootMiniBoF-2004-12-09-13-45.html>
to find out some of the things they did.

One of the low-hanging fruits are to add a readahead package (and the
related readahead-list package) to Debian.  No idea why no-one did
this already, but I registered a WNPP request for it (#325885).

Personally, I believe we should speed up the boot process considerably
by adding and using dependency info for all init.d scripts, including
a read-ahead step in the boot process, and by replacing the current
hotplug package with something faster.  Ubuntu did the latter two, as
well as some other tricks.
--
Petter Reinholdtsen