Ubuntu already improved their boot time

Erich Schubert erich.schubert at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 15:44:31 UTC 2005

Hi,
> One of the low-hanging fruits are to add a readahead package (and the
> related readahead-list package) to Debian.  No idea why no-one did
> this already, but I registered a WNPP request for it (#325885).

Btw, I just updated my readahead-list code, it now builds with
dietlibc into a statically-linked binary of 1.2k total.
But I remember having recently read about someone claiming that
readahead didn't improve his boot speeds at all.
Also I'm looking forward to this new readahead daemon upcoming as one
of the Google Summer projects. That one is expected to learn the
readahead list for your desktop.

On my system - running minit, parallel boot and readahead - it looks
that by far the slowest part of the system boot is udev+hotplug (not
sure which of them is really to blame).

best regards,
Erich Schubert
--
    erich@(mucl.de|debian.org)      --      GPG Key ID: 4B3A135C    (o_
  To understand recursion you first need to understand recursion.   //\