Ubuntu plans for init

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Thu Feb 9 08:10:23 UTC 2006

[Henrique de Moraes Holschuh]
> Well, _I_ didn't know we had *serialized output* yet! Parallel
> execution, yes. Serialized output? Nope, no sir.  I ought to find
> some time to actually try this code to really know what it can do...

Please do test it.  CONCURRENCY=startpar give serialized output, while
CONCURRENCY=shell do not.  The startpar program do not handle time
jumps, but as the time-shattering scripts are .sh scripts and thus
sourced in sequence and not run in parallel, this work just fine. :)

But I am not really satisfied with the implementation yet.  I suspect
it is better to rewrite init.d/rc to combine features from bootlogd
and startpar to make sure the boot messages end up in the syslog and
that the script output is serialized.  I suspect bootlogd is
implemented at the wrong level, and that it is easier to do that job
for the program starting the init.d scripts.  If I read the RedHat
boot scripts right, that is how they do it too.