Deliverable 4: Proposed boot process is available for review (SoC2006)

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh hmh at debian.org
Mon Sep 11 20:48:02 UTC 2006

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> I guess a long term fix is to change util-linux to only run
> hwclock*.sh if the hardware clock isn't using UTC and the platform
> kernel is unable to read the hardware clock itself.  And to also

Correct for *startup*. And also change it to fix the clock as early as
possible.

For shutdown, it depends on what the kernel RTC drivers are doing nowadays,
but I strongly suspect it is mandatory for every system not running ntp in
kernel-sync mode.

> change it the way Ubuntu have done it, to let udev call hwclock when
> /dev/rtc become available, to make sure it isn't trying to run before
> the device show up.

Do it in the wrong way and you hose everything.  For async calls to hwclock,
you need to detect if ntp or anything else is running, and refuse to run if
that happens.  Also, you need to disable all adjtimex support if there is
any chance of something else messing with the RTC before an hwclock hctosys.

  Henrique Holschuh