Slashdot/IBM: How To Speed Up Linux Booting

Andreas Mohr andi at rhlx01.fht-esslingen.de
Wed Apr 11 12:15:51 UTC 2007

Hi,

On Wed, Apr 11, 2007 at 02:02:30PM +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> >  You want to be able to switch init systems on a running system; diversions
> >  take
> >  immediate effect, not on the next reboot. Diverting invoke-rc.d might
> Do you? This does not look like an important requrement to me.
> It's probably not possibile anyway with complex ("interesting"... there
> is no big need for half a dozen sysvinit clones) init systems like
> upstart.

I didn't follow the whole discussion, but I still want to second this.
IMHO: there's too much legacy cruft in init systems, and things like sysvinit
are an incredible PAIN on desktops, thus a very important part of
init development is identifying the parts which *don't* make sense keeping
during init system evolution.

Thanks for all your efforts,

Andreas Mohr