Etch boots as fast as Woody...

Erich Schubert erich.schubert at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 10:32:18 UTC 2007

Hi,
> I've been reading the latest posts on the HackFest for alternative inits
> and sounds quite interesting. Who may participate on these things? Is it
> just for developers or interested people can sign in?

No, anybody is welcome to join. Much of the work is preparing patches
and everybody can submit them to the BTS. And for NMUs, they can be
sponsored by one of the DDs.

>      * Woody - 32 seconds
>      * Sarge - 44 seconds
>      * Etch - 32 seconds

Very interesting result. Do you have an idea what made sarge so slow?

> seconds and it could be further improved but there is some "hald"
> process (maybe part of dbus) that doesn't seem to want to run in parallel.

Hal is the "hardware abstraction layer". It offers hardware events and
information via dbus and is pretty useful when wanting to e.g. react
in userspace to new hardware being plugged in.

Thats another thing: DBus has it's own set of init scripts. They live in
/etc/dbus-1/event.d
and for all I've seen they're just like regular init scripts...

best regards,
Erich Schubert
--
    erich@(mucl.de|debian.org)      --      GPG Key ID: 4B3A135C    (o_
  To understand recursion you first need to understand recursion.   //\