Sys-V-Init scripts from upstart files

Joachim Breitner nomeata at debian.org
Tue Jun 12 08:58:44 UTC 2007

Hi,

Am Montag, den 11.06.2007, 22:05 +0200 schrieb Marco d'Itri:
> On Jun 11, Joachim Breitner <nomeata at debian.org> wrote:
> > Do you think such a think will be possible, or useful?
> No. The alternative init scripts are either very similar to the
> classical System V init or very different. The ones in the first
> category are not interesting and supporting them is an exercise in
> futility, while the others are usually too difficult to support in a
> general way.

I think we can only try to support automatic init scripts for the simple
cases anyways. Everything more complicated would have to ship it’s own,
hand written init script as usual. The question is where to draw the
line.

> Choices are not always a good thing.

But don’t you think that we should try to stop the sitation that
bascially the same init.d script gets shipped by a lot of package that
only differ in one or two details, and that those package would benefit
a lot from an automatic solution.

Are you at DebCamp? We are having a BOF at 2pm today.

Greetings,
Joachim
--
Joachim "nomeata" Breitner