BoF Protocol

Joachim Breitner nomeata at debian.org
Wed Jun 13 10:19:43 UTC 2007

Hi,

Am Mittwoch, den 13.06.2007, 12:09 +0200 schrieb Erich Schubert:
> > Note that I do not think it is feasible or desirable to try to make this
> > system work for each and any deamon, and we always want to give the
>
> I agree with you on that, but I'd like the system to be designed in an
> 'extensible' way somewhat.

I think it is extensible as we can just add new fields as needed, e.g.
for shell snippets to run at certain stages, or to support additional
ways of starting the daemon. But do you agree that the current proposal
is a reasonable “minimum feature set” for now, and to be extended later?

> For example, I'd not support "respawn" with sysvinit for now, and just
> treat lines with the "respawn" keyword like "exec".
>
> So I'd even add this keyword if there is only one choice for now, just
> to keep the system easier to extend. I'd start with
> exec/respawn/signal, and the first version will probably only support
> "exec", treat "respawn" the same way as "exec" and ignore "signal".

Is exec for forking mode and restart for non-forking mode? Just to make
sure I understand you here.

> > The generated svs-v-init script would check if the binary exists. Other
> > generated scripts might have their own pre-check tests. I wonder if we
> > still want START= variables in /etc/default/*, isn't the correct way to
> > disable daemons in sys-v-init to rename the symlinks from S??* to K??*?
>
> I think the famous 'symlink farm' of sysvinit has serious upgrade
> issues, which is why so many packages use /etc/default/*
> Some services (e.g. mpd, mpdscribble) also can't work without any
> initial configuration anyway or are run as user applications by many
> users and therefore shouldn't be started by default. It feels odd to
> me to install them as "stop" commands then.

Ok, but that’s an issue with sys-v-init scripts, and we do not plan to
solve them here. But if you think that any “normal” daemon (i.e., those
daemons simple enough to use metainit) should have a /etc/default/*
file, that would be possible of course − just adjust the init script
generation script. (Current try on [1])

Thanks,
Joachim

[1] http://darcs.nomeata.de/cgi-bin/darcsweb.cgi?r=metainit;a=headblob;f=/create-sysvinit-file.pl