Slashdot/IBM: How To Speed Up Linux Booting

Mark Brown broonie at sirena.org.uk
Thu May 3 14:34:26 UTC 2007

On Wed, May 02, 2007 at 06:56:49PM +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On May 02, Sven Mueller <debian at incase.de> wrote:

> > Though I agree that we should clean up the init system while we enable
> > usage of newer, better, faster init systems, I don't think that we can
> > remove much yet. For a while to come, many system administrators (think
> > servers) will like to stay with the old faithful, long tested sysvinit.

> Do we need to care? Ubuntu switched to upstart and I have not noticed
> anybody complaining.

I would expect that it is the external interfaces that people are most
attached to - so long as an init system provides compatible interfaces
that people can use (even if it also has its own) users will probably
not be too worried about any additional features it has.  This is the
approach Upstart has taken.