comments on insserv

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Sat Apr 12 15:24:02 UTC 2008

[Michael Biebl]
> after (re)enabling insserv this week, I thought I'd share my
> experiences. insserv successfully installed and reordered the boot sequence.

Thank you for the feedback. :)

> This probably means, the LSB header information is not in sync with
> the information that is passed to update-rc.d

Yes, this is correct.  And for all but the runlevel 0 and 6 cases, I
expect the update-rc.d calls to be correct, and the headers to be
wrong.

> Example: console-tools.postinst has
>   update-rc.d console-screen.sh start 48 S .
> But the LSB header has
>   # Default-Start:     S 2 3 4 5
>   # Default-Stop:      0 1 6

Definitely wrong.  Should have

  # Default-Start:     S
  # Default-Stop:

> I'd assume, those LSB headers are not entirely correct. I'll leave
> it up to Petter to decide and file bug reports.

Will try to find time for it.

> 2.) The start/stop priorities have strange "holes".
> Take ls /etc/rc2.d
> The first start priorities are
>   S15,S16 [*no* 17,18],S19,S20,S21,S22, [*no* 23], S24
> Why does it start at 15 at all, and not S01? Why are some start
> priorities missing?
> Similar issue in /etc/rc[06].d/
> There
> K02,03,04,05,06,07,08,09,10,11,12,13, [*no* 14,15,16],17,18, [*no* 19],
> 20,[*no* 21],22,23,24
> Some questions here: Why is there no K01, why are those "holes" in the
> sequence?

This is because of the way insserv works internally.  It build one
dependency graph for all runlevels, and assign sequence numbers using
this dependency graph, independend of what runlevels are enabled for a
given service.

> 3.) console-setup is not started after console-screen.sh anymore.
> I installed console-setup to configure my console font and keyboard
> layout. In the old init sequence, console-screen.sh was run at S48,
> console-setup S49.
> Now console-setup is S19, console-screen.sh S20, so my changes get reset
> by console-screen.sh again.
> => I'd say console-setup should be fixed to run after console-screen.sh
> Again, I'll leave it up to you to file a bug report and request the
> correct action (as I don't really know what's the right thing to do).

Sound like a dependency bug.  Not sure how it is best solve.  Two
options are to let console-setup depend on console-screen.sh, or to
let console-screen.sh reverse depend on console-setup.  I do not know
the packages, so I am not sure which of these are "best". :)

> 4.) Imho you should not only divert update-rc.d, but also it's man page.
> It's weird when update-rc.d and update-rc.d.8 are out of sync.
> The man page of update-rc.d-innserv is insufficient at its current state
> though. A lot of vital information is missing (e.g. how to disable
> services with insserv).

Good point.  Should be filed as a wishlist bug against insserv to make
sure it is not forgotten.

> So, that's it. Hope this comments are useful.

Very useful, indeed. :)

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen